Affects Version/s: None
Fix Version/s: None
Component/s: Admin Console
The Openfire administration console (including the setup wizard) is one of the first things that administrators see of Openfire. It's user experience affects only a small group of people, but those are likely to include possibly decision makers. It would be good to offer a good user experience to those.
The design of the Openfire admin console is dated. It should be improved.
- The admin console must be usable by a very wide array of (desktop-based) browsers. Note that, in larger organisations, people might be forced to use specific (often old) browsers).
- The admin console can be extended through plugins (see the [Plugin Developer Guide|http://download.igniterealtime.org/openfire/docs/latest/documentation/plugin-dev-guide.html])
- It must remain possible to add admin console pages through plugins. If the way to do this changes, then the documentation linked above should be modified to reflect these changes.
- The admin console pages of existing/old plugins (that have "old style" designed admin pages) must remain functional.
- The administrative console functionality has important security aspects. The amount of attack vectors should be kept at a minimum. The implementation of the new design should not include unnecessary libraries or frameworks - neither home-grown or third-party provided. It is perfectly acceptable to include some libraries, but we should keep the code base concise.
- Support for mobile phones